There’s absolutely no doubt that last year made us trade in our conventional makeup routines for the more practical bare face, as many of us started to work from home during the pandemic and wear masks to protect ourselves.
But at the same time, makeup was still having a moment on social media platforms such as TikTok and Instagram. Millions of beauty influencers were giving us endless streams of makeup content every day. Celebrities were coming out with their own makeup lines and products every other month. Popular TV shows like Euphoria on HBO and Glow Up on Netflix were making us want to try the craziest makeup looks on ourselves (even if we were only going to be chilling on the couch at home).
If there’s one thing we’ve learned, it’s that we had to adapt our beauty routines to fit the moment! Today, we are going to be sharing our favorite Spring 2021 makeup trends that are both fresh and practical during the pandemic.
Glow Baby Glow
Zoom meetings have become inevitable this year as we work from home more and continue to practice social distancing. There’s no shame in using makeup to highlight your best features in an environment where bad lighting can tend to make you look washed out. Glowy, dewy skin is one of the biggest makeup trends right now and can make you look healthy and fresh on camera when executed correctly!
1. Start off with clean moisturized skin and apply a hydrating primer like the Hydro Grip Primer from MILK Makeup.
2. Next, go in with a medium to full coverage foundation like the Pro FILT’R Hydrating Longwear Foundation from Fenty Beauty.
3. Now it’s time for the most important step – highlight! Take a highlighter like the Dew Me Baked Highlighter by Estate Cosmetics – make sure to highlight your cheekbones, cupid’s bow, and the bridge of your nose with your finger or a highlighter brush.
4. Finish the look off with a dewy setting primer like the Hydro Grip Set + Refresh Spray from MILK Makeup.
5. Don’t forget to accessorize with some statement earrings like the Kendra Scott Ansley Heart Gold Drop Earrings in Rose Quartz.
Bright Here, Bright Now
Just because we have to wear masks more often, doesn’t mean we have to let our eyes take a back seat! Our second favorite look is the bright eyes trend! We love the statement of a one-color bright eyeshadow look that is sure to turn heads!
1. First make sure to prime your eyelids with a primer like the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion – this will keep your shadow in place and make the bright color you choose look more intense.
2. Now you must choose a color! We picked a spring-inspired violet hue from The Violets palette by Juvia’s Place (known for its long-wear and vibrancy on all skin tones). Take a brush and apply the color over your whole lid making sure to blend out the edges.
3. To make the color pop even more, we then applied a shimmery pigment on the eyelids using a Super Shock Pigment shadow by Colourpop Cosmetics.
4. To complete the look, we popped on some lashes like the Demi Wispies from Ardell Lashes.
Here to Stay
Transfer proof foundation and lipstick can be hard to come-by! But we’ve tested brands we think work well while wearing a mask! One of our favorite looks is a simple muted red lip paired with a long-lasting foundation that won’t rub off on fabric.
1. Prime your skin with a primer that is meant to help keep your foundation in place like the e.l.f. Cosmetics Poreless Putty Primer.
2.Next choose a foundation built to last like Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation by Fenty Beauty.
3. Make sure to exfoliate your lips with a tasty and effective lip scrub like the Vanilla Sugar Lip Scrub by Beauty Bakerie.
4. Next, pick your lip color! We love Lip Bar’s Lipstick in the shade Cat Walk! To achieve the fresh muted look, use your finger to dab on the color making sure to start on the inside of your lip and blend out.
No matter whether you choose to use these products and our makeup tips, we would like you to remember that you are beautiful inside and out! We would love to see you recreate these looks and tag us at @gliksofficial on Instagram! Rock these looks paired with your favorite Glik’s outfit!