Tis the season… for ugly Christmas sweater parties! Fa la la la la, la la la la! A few years ago, it became trendy to hunt down the most abhorred and kitschiest sweater you could find. Normally these pompom and bell embellished “ugly” sweaters could be found in thrift stores or even your close relative’s closets, but that’s not the case anymore. The vintage “ugly Christmas sweater” is now a rare bird in the retail world. In fact, retailers have begun to recreate the ugly holiday sweaters of years past.
Not a bad idea, but in an age of ‘Do It Yourselfers’ and the budget conscious, the idea of making your own ugly Christmas sweater is much more appealing. (Besides, who else would think to make the same ugly sweater as you?
For many of us, what’s considered in “bad taste” can be a much debatable topic, but the general rule when making an ugly Christmas sweater is “the uglier, the better.” We’re suggesting that you have free reign to attach as many tacky embellishments, obnoxious amounts of tinsel, and gaudy Christmas themed decorations as you want on your ugly sweater. If you’re looking to get a head start on your DIY ugly Christmas sweater, then we suggest starting out with the Ugly Christmas Sweater Kit.
The Ugly Christmas Sweater Kit has everything you need to custom make your own DIY ugly Christmas sweater.
Supplies Needed for Ugly Christmas Sweater:
- Sweater/ Vest
- Hot Glue
- Various Christmas themed decorations (your preference)
- The easiest and most inexpensive place to locate your sweater would be the local thrift shop or even your closet. Any sweater will do, it’s a matter of your personal preference.
- Once you’ve chosen your sweater, lay it flat and plan out how you want to decorate your sweater while the hot glue gun heats up.
- Any Christmas themed decoration of your choice will work. These objects can be totally unrelated to each other or part of one grand design. Do not over-think your ugly Christmas sweater design, anything will do, and the idea is for your sweater to make absolutely no sense.
- After your layout has been finalized, grab your (now) hot glue gun and start gluing down your final design. The Ugly Christmas Sweater Kit provides thread and glitter glue to use (if needed) as well.
- Once you have glued everything in place, allow a few minutes for the glue to dry and set.
- Remember. Your ugly Christmas sweater can be changed and re-arranged at any time, let all things gaudy and terribly tacky take over the style of your look.
For more ideas checkout the Ugly Christmas Sweater Kit on Pinterest.