New Year. New Closet.
As a typical New Year’s Resolution, I always promise to clean out my closet. I am a grade A clothes hoarder, no lie. I have a hard time parting with things because I can justify keeping almost anything and panic at the thought of missing an old item of clothing. Throw away floral palazzo pants that I’ve only worn once? But what if I get invited to brunch and want to wear them! Part with a sweater I haven’t worn in 2 years? But what if I change my mind! Cleaning my closet this season is a looming, but necessary evil that I must face. To cheer myself up, I’ve decided to find a way to celebrate the clothing I am letting myself keep. Thanks to Pinterest, I’ve found an inexpensive way to do this and have decided to make DIY Gold Sequin Hangers to hang my favorite pieces. I feel like displaying my clothing in a glam way will not only make my closet prettier, but also make my clothes feel a little more valuable. That and gold sequin covered anything makes me happy.
With that said, here is a super easy (and cheap) DIY Gold Sequin Hanger tutorial.
- Wooden hanger
- 3-6 yards of sequin ribbon
- Tacky glue
- 1 Q-tip
I purchased all of materials at Walmart, but I’m sure you could find them at any other local craft store or big-box store.
- Dot several inches of tacky glue on the back side of one end of the ribbon. Wait a few seconds so the glue can become tacky before applying to the hanger.
- Starting at one end of the wooden hanger, firmly press the ribbon onto the wooden part and wrap going in an inward direction.
*Helpful hint: Use the q-tip to wipe off any excess glue as you’re wrapping. You don’t want the glue to ooze through the ribbon and show on the outside.
- Continue wrapping the ribbon around the hanger while slightly overlapping the ribbon.
*Helpful hint: Keep the sequin ribbon pulled taut while you wrap.
- If desired, cut small piece of the sequin ribbon and glue to each end of the hanger. This will cover any exposed wood.
- TADA! That’s literally it. Let the glue dry completely before showcasing your top or dress on your new sequin hanger!
I hope that you and your closet find as much joy in the DIY Gold Sequin Hanger as I do!